POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Trip-let (8k) : Re: Trip-let (8k) Server Time
1 Oct 2024 20:22:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trip-let (8k)
From: Ken
Date: 16 Aug 2000 11:03:54
Message: <399AACEC.F4091C9C@pacbell.net>
ryan constantine wrote:

> i was under the impression that the server had been donated.

The server is the private property of one of the POV-Team members.

>  maybe not huh?

Nope.

> so how many IRTC cdroms are sold?

No information available.

> and what are the operating costs it pays for?

Bandwidth ! This povray.org server handles the traffic at povray.org,
news.povray.org, the IRTC competition, the TAG home page, the Texture
library, once upon a time a quake server, and possibly other resources
I am forgetting. The server is co-located at company which is a for
profit business that charges its customers for the bandwidth they
consume. For this co-located server the bandwidth is considerable and
the machine takes a beating. Occassionaly the hardward is upgraded
due to failures which are additional costs. All software for the
server is licenced and occassional upgrades to the software cost
additional licensing fees.

>  i thought all of pov was simply enthusiast contribution of time
> and so forth.

It is that, but you can't expect the POV-Team to do so out of thier
own not-so-deep pockets. I have never been told what the operating
costs are for all of this, and consider it none of my business, but
I suspect that they are not cheap. I consider the sales of the IRTC
CD's a viable method of funding these resources and anyone who
really wants to help the cause can do so by purshasing one. It has
been discussed before but the POV-Team will not accept direct
donations.